Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hearty Smoked Salmon and Chanterelle Chowder in bread bowls

Hearty Smoked Salmon and Chanterelle Chowder? Yes!  Don't ask how I came up with the idea, we harvest food from nature and this years' bumper crop got me thinking.  What to do with all this salmon and all these chanterelles.  Since my specialty is soup, why not put them together like a bisque? Only I don't like bisque, I do like chowder, so I put the two together.  At the time I only had my teriyaki-smoked salmon available, and the outcome was very delectable !

Use your own pre-smoke salmon recipe or the one on this blog, if you like it extra salty or spicy, that is even better for flavor! 

Pan "dry" the shredded chanterelles to a dark nutty color over low heat in a cast iron pan with a dab of butter ("dry" meaning removing excess water from the chanterelle mushroom).

Serves 4-6 people

4-8 oz. of smoked salmon - flaked apart
1 cup of dry chanterelle mushrooms (see above)
4 small yukon gold potatoes - cooked and cut into 1" squares
1 cup of chopped green onions
1/2 cup of fresh parsley
1/2 cup of yellow onion - caramelized
1/2 cup of garden carrots caramelized
Sea salt to taste
Fresh cracked black peppercorns to taste
1 tsp of sugar

White sauce:
1 cube of butter
1 cup of flour
1 pint of cream
2 cups of milk


Sea salt to taste

Fresh cracked black peppercorns to taste

First make white sauce, melt butter over low heat, add flour to melted butter in pan to make a rue, slowly add milk, salt,  pepper and stir constantly over low heat for twenty minutes or until thick, then add cream till smooth.

While the white sauce is going, brown yellow onions and carrots in a frying pan together till caramelized.  In another pot boil potatoes whole, then peel and chop into 1" squares.



When the potatoes are cooked and chopped, onions and carrots caramelized and white sauce is done, then combine all the ingredients in a large pan, or crockpot, on low, allow to simmer till green onions are tender, 15 minutes.


Speedy note:  I usually start the potatoes, chop up the carrots and onions ahead of time, and set them all to cook before I start the white sauce, saves time. I usually buy the bread bowls from the bakery, since I am a great cook and a lousy baker!

Serve in bread bowls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment